You must be using X12... so you're only real choices are to either have your
trading partner change their delimiter, or remove the offending characters from
the data.

If you were using EDIFACT messages, then you could have them precede the
character with a question mark (or other character specified in the UNA segment
as the release character).  Any character immediately following the release
character will be used as data and not a delimiter.
--
Linda Denison
Senior Programmer Analyst

Dale Marthaller wrote:

> Does anyone have a work around for a situation where a trading partner has
> imbedded data containing the same character as the element separator.
>
> I have a trading partner set up to use an asterisk as an element separator
> but also has one element that contains an asterisk?
>
> Dale Marthaller
> David Oppenheimer Group
> http://www.oppyproduce.com
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> (604) 435-1386

begin:vcard
n:Denison;Linda
tel;cell:972-979-6656
tel;fax:509-691-6499
tel;home:972-790-4510
tel;work:469-524-6422
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:FedEx Corporate Services;EC Integration Development Services
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Senior Programmer Analyst
adr;quoted-printable:;;4200 Regent Blvd=0D=0ASuite 2B;Irving;TX;75063;USA
note;quoted-printable:Mobile E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]=0D=0AAIM ID: VctrnRse
x-mozilla-cpt:;-27832
fn:Linda  Denison
end:vcard