Jonathan,
Now I understand where you are coming from.  I have worked with or for three
U.S. EDI software providers and am well aware of their level of knowledge of
actual business practices.  I suspect U.S. VANs are not much different.  The
people at these these companies who know best are actually the field
consultants who are not commonly called in to help spec products or sit on
standards committees.  What practices are in the U.K. I cannot say.  I just
finished a one year stint with a very large British consulting firm and they
had no in-house knowledge whatsoever of ANSI X12.

Of course, VANs & software providers will offer additional services.  That's
how they make their living.   The comment I was interested in was the 90%
one which I suspect is far from actual usage.   As I've said I have
experience with dozens & dozens of major U.S. EDI users and none use the IGs
when exchanging 997s.  As you point out all S/W providers have the
capability of using("loading") IGs but in practice I suspect few substitute
these for the standards when generating the 997s.  They may be used in the
application map where they still would have value added as they eliminate
the need for map rules to support the IG.  I'm still waiting for someone to
reference a major EDI user where an IG is used to generate a 997.

As I pointed out earlier there are three levels of acknowledgment.  Using
the 997 as you describe is fine but it would only cover two levels.  The 824
may still be necessary to handle the third.

I suspect a big reason for the divergence in our experience is that the
organizations that have been doing EDI for 10-20 years are still doing it
they way always have.  Newer implementors may be looking at better ways of
conducting business than were thought of years ago.

Regards, Jim Divoky