I will kill my participation on the Yahoo list in a heartbeat the first time
I receive any advertising inserted into a message.

If Yahoo wants to take this approach, it will be the kiss of death for
them......

Rachel

Another better alternative is Topica.  Yahoo is going to insert html
advertising into each post (which is real annoying).  Topica is also
"free".  Both can be read on web or off.  Both offer single mail or
digest features.

As a sidebar, I sent a post to EDI-L that was *censored* by the new
admin raising the question of the status of the gateway bridge to the
USENET group.  Does this change effectively kill the USENET group?

Rachel Foerster wrote:

> Jim,
>
> I too am leery of Yahoo, although I did subscribe to the new EDI-L list -
> and today I succumbed and set up a Yahoo ID. The reason for my concern is
> that even yet today (after having been on the Internet and the web since
> early 1994) I have blessedly remained mostly free of spam and porno
> messages. My gut tells me this will probably not be the case with Yahoo.
>
> Your suggestion that DISA consider hosting a new EDI-L list is a good
> one......hello Alan Kotok or other DISA people on this list. What do you
> think? DISA already hosts other lists that support the work of many of the
> X12 subcommittees and their work groups plus the XML-EDI list. I would
> strongly support DISA hosing the new EDI-L list so that I can kill the
Yahoo
> ids I've had to set up.
>
> Rachel Foerster

> ---
>
> I enthusiastically agree with Rachel's message but can understand the
> decision to abandon support of the list.
>
> On behalf of the all the subscribers, I would like to ask for an extension
> of the deadline while we settle the question of where to go.
>
> I took Richard Druckenmiller's suggestion and tried subscribing to the
Yahoo
> EDI-L group.  Here's what I had to do:
>
>         1. establish a Yahoo user account - its free; requires a userid
and
> password, you pick'em; user id clash resolution is ok.
>         2. establish a Yahoo email account - yeah, its a separate request;
> yahoo will suggest using the Yahoo user id but you don't have to.
>         3. subscribe to the EDI-L group
>
> This is all well and good but I want the EDI-L mail in a digest form, sent
> my company hosted email account.  This requires me to 'convert' ( a Yahoo
> term ) my company email address.  This process failed and I have started
an
> email dialogue with the Yahoo techies....
>
> So, now I have yet another user id, password and email account added to an
> already too large list of personalized computing resources.
>
> Perhaps we can find another list server host that would be more interested
> in the topic.  Perhaps DISA?
>
> Regards,
> James K. Werner
> The Boeing Company