I've been involved with EDI for almost 20 years now myself.
I've read a number of TPA's and I almost fell off my chair 
the first time I read this one. (and I did read it over and 
over again several times) (out loud :-)

The naughty bits from the "Dear Valued Supplier" letter are:

-There will be 2 main methods of conducting business: These 
are Machine to Machine (M2M or EDI) and Web Application.  
All these methods of conducting business are a form of 
E-Commerce, and require a signed document on electronic 
signatures and other matters. These are often referred to 
as Trading Partner Agreements (TPA).

-Appendix A of the TPA includes information on the method 
of transacting business, which has been filled in for your 
current choice.  There is also information on the annual 
fee associated with the tools, and the method of payment.

...and from the TPA:

-WHEREAS, Buyer and Seller desire to facilitate purchase 
and sale transactions ("Transactions") by electronically 
transmitting and receiving data in agreed formats

-Documents will be transmitted electronically to each party 
either, directly or through a third party service provider 
("Provider") with which each party may contract. 

-Each party shall be responsible for the costs of any Provider 
with which it contracts.  

-System Operations: Each party, at its own expense, shall 
provide and maintain the equipment, software, services and 
testing necessary to effectively and reliably transmit and 
receive Documents. 

...and from the Appendix:

Transactions must be processed under one of the following 
methods and are subject to the annual fee listed.  The fee 
is in effect for three years from the date of this Agreement.

 Full EDI (Machine to Machine)          $1000 per year
 Hybrid (Combination of EDI and Web)    $ 400 per year
 Web based (via Website)                $ 400 per year 

Supported Transactions
 Purchase Order
 Purchase Order Acknowledgement
 Purchase Order Change
 Purchase Order Change Acknowledgement
 Advance Shipping Notice
 Forecast 
 Invoice

The annual fee will be credited against a payment due in 
the second quarter of each year.  For other methods of 
payment, contact... </snip>


---------------------------------------------------------


So except for the appendix, (and that they only refer to a 
PO and not an 850) it sounds like a pretty much standard 
EDI trading partnership agreement to me.

What I was trying to attain from the EDI-List group was
confirmation about whether this was a misunderstanding or 
an isolated case. From Timothy's comment, it would appear 
that it is not. The second point is that if others had been 
receiving TPA's similiar to this one, that some sort of group 
would recognize that these sort of initiatives are not in 
the best interests of any of us.

I am in whole hearted agreement that EDI is the way to go
and that $1000/year spent will help to recoup far more in 
actual savings. How a company can expect to collect money like
this for itself is another matter. What prompted all this on 
my part however is the creeping infestation of gouging tactics 
that seem to becoming more popular. (Chargebacks, proprietary 
data synchronization databases, software certification, etc)

I am hopefull that someday something develops that helps
to remind people that EDI is about creating situations that
help both trading PARTNERS.  

I am in Canada. So is the supplier. The buyer is in North 
Carolina. I do not work for either company. I do agree with 
Klaus-Dieter that government involvement is bad (don't get
me started on SOX) but it still doesn't explain why we don't 
have some sort of watchdog to help avoid this sort of thing. 

I guess I will follow up and find out from the source what 
their real intentions are. I'm actually hoping that there
is more to this than meets the eye and that the only thing 
that they are guilty of is writing a misleading TPA. (that
someone happened to forward to me because I "know so much
about EDI"  HA! :-)

Cheers,
Kev.




...
Please use the following Message Identifiers as your subject prefix: <SALES>, 
<JOBS>, <LIST>, <TECH>, <MISC>, <EVENT>, <OFF-TOPIC>

Job postings are welcome, but for job postings or requests for work: <JOBS> IS 
REQUIRED in the subject line as a prefix. 
Yahoo! Groups - Join or create groups, clubs, forums &amp; communities. Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/EDI-L/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/EDI-L/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] 
    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups - Join or create groups, clubs, forums &amp; 
communities. is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 

Reply via email to