>My main point was not about baseball or Bonds. It was about the
>cavalier way that people toss around the phrase, "regression to
>the mean," as if it were an immutable law that trumped all other
>differences in conditions.
>
>--Robert Chung

right ... reg. to the mean is not a cause of anything ... but, a
description of the relationship between variables ... and how the RELATIVE
POSITIONS on one tend to go along with the RELATIVE POSITIONS on the other

it's not less than that and certainly no more than that

if bonds breaks the record ... reg. to the mean will not flawed ... and if
he does not break the record it is not because reg. to the mean works

>Instructions for joining and leaving this list and remarks about
>the problem of INAPPROPRIATE MESSAGES are available at
>                   http://jse.stat.ncsu.edu/

dennis roberts, educational psychology, penn state university
208 cedar, AC 8148632401, mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://roberts.ed.psu.edu/users/droberts/drober~1.htm