At 04:08 PM 7/17/01 -0400, Rich Ulrich wrote:

>But, so far as I have heard,  the league MEANS stay the same.
>The SDs are the same.  There is no preference, that I have ever
>heard, for records to be set by half-season, early or late, team
>or individual.  My guess is that association between "talent"
>and "winning"  (or hitting, or pitching, etc.) remains the same.

but, individuals are not half tests ... and, the mean # of homers in the
second half is not the same (except by coincidence) to the # of home runs
in the second half ... the original post was not about TEAM stats ... which
are fixed in the sense that if one team loses alot ... another team wins
alot ...

every individual player could get better the 2nd half of the season ... or,
get worse ... in terms of batting ... that is not necessarily true of
pitchers ... all pitchers can't really improve their w/l records ...

thus ... it depends on the stat you are interested in ...

dennis roberts, penn state university
educational psychology, 8148632401
http://roberts.ed.psu.edu/users/droberts/drober~1.htm