hi,
Am Sonntag, den 05.03.2006, 14:35 -0800 schrieb Gary Taylor:
> >values for X_HORZSYNC and X_VERTREFRESH to get the
> >resolution you want,

>         X_HORZSYNC          = 1024
>         X_VERTREFRESH      = 768
these arent correct values ...
i.e. for a resolution of 1280x800 my laptop display needs
hsync = 31-65 and vertrefresh = 45-90

find the right values for your monitor, they should be in the monitor
handbook or you can find them by using monitor manufacturer and model in
a google search.

> but when I attempt to login it dislays "Login incorrect".  ctrl-alt-f1 through
> ctrl-alt-f6 give me a different vt.  ctrl-alt-f7 gives me a
> black screen with a cursor blinking in the upper left.
there are no user accounts on thin clients apart from a locked root
account...

> I get xserver failed, press <enter> to continue. So I press
> enter and am presented with the login prompt again but
> attempting to login gives the same as above.  ctrl-alt-f1
> through ctrl-alt-f6 give me a different vt.  ctrl-alt-f7
> doesn't work.
indeed you get xserver failed with the above values you force on your
graphics hardware. it simply cant start an X server if the avlues are
this much out of range.

> With this setting:
> [Default]
>         SERVER             = 192.168.1.3
> #        XSERVER            = auto
>         XSERVER            = ati
>         X_MOUSE_PROTOCOL   = "PS/2"
>         X_MOUSE_DEVICE     = "/dev/psaux"
>         X_MOUSE_RESOLUTION = 400
>         X_MOUSE_BUTTONS    = 3
>         USE_XFS            = N
>        X_HORZSYNC          = 1024
>         X_VERTREFRESH      = 768
>         SCREEN_01          = startx
>
> I get the busybox prompt with this error:
> /bin/sh: can't access tty: job control turned off
> #
thats unrelated to your lts.conf, (at the point where busybox errors can
occur, your client hasnt mounted the root filesystem yet)
try restarting the nfs server and see if it goes away.

> After testing a few changes and the necessary reboots my
> client gets to an inconsistent state where it might only
> display the busybox prompt and nothing else or have some
> other problem.  In order for changes to get read from
> lts.conf I have to reboot the server.  In fact it seems like
> in order to get reliable testing resutls I need to reboot
> the server after every change of lts.conf.
nope, rebooting the client is enough ...

> Looking in
> /etc/init.d/ I can't see a service that I could restart
> instead of rebooting.  Is there a service I should be
> restarting instead?
dhcp3-server, inetd (starts tftpd-hpa), portmap, ssh and
nfs-kernel-server are the services ltsp uses

ciao
        oli