On Mar 16, 2006, at 10:42 AM, Jonathan D. Proulx wrote:

On Thu, Mar 16, 2006 at 08:07:00PM +0200, Jonathan Carter wrote:

There's no sponsor mandate, except I suppose that they be used for
educational purposed in the schools, which is pretty broad.

I'm speculating two broad classes of use.  First the teacher in
preparing lessons and other school management.  For this desktop I've
listed the productivity tools.  For the student use (age about 6-12)
I'd expect gcompris, tuxmath, a typing tutor, tux paint, and and
editor probably openoffice write.

Do you think more of the productivity suit would be used by the
students?  I do have 7 and 10yr old testers at home but they learned
to type before they learned to write so a bit of a different
demographic.

Software:
For middle grades math (ages 10 and up) the spreadsheet can be very valuable for making the transition from arithmetic to algebra. (This isn't very well known, but I'm working on it.) And a dynamic geometry program: I think that GeoGebra does the best job of any software, even commercial ones, for connecting geometry and algebra. Apparently java needs to be installed separately (from what I have heard from this list.) The drawing programs are also good for various things in math.

But, again, it's hard to say without knowing the people. Do they have lots of paper and pencil? Slates and chalk? Pocket calculators?  I notice that 95% of the adult population is literate (according to the CIA website.)

Susan Addington

[EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Math Department, California State University, San Bernardino