On 27 Mar 2006, at 2:10 PM, Oliver Grawert wrote:

hi,
Am Montag, den 27.03.2006, 13:56 +0200 schrieb Edward Holcroft:
This is an  artificial distinction. Are developers not users? Can a
user not be a developer? How would you expect the content of mails to
differ between these lists?
sure he/she can, but edubuntu is the only ubuntu distro that only has
this one list, all other follow the namig scheme of having -users,
-devel and the localized lists

What would be the purpose of such a split? It's not like this is a
busy list. Usually one considers this when a list becomes too busy to
follow, although it would have to be really busy to be too much for
even a moderately experienced list user.
the idea behind the split as i understood it in the pre-last edubuntu
meeting was to give users that are scared by the -devel name
an
opportunity to communicate, i agree that the list is *very* low traffic
and not restricted to -devel problems at all, but the name doesnt
indicate that.

So I guess  vote "no" to a split as currently mooted.

If there just has to be split for some reason, then I would suggest a
"technical" list, and a "chat" list. A discussion about whether the
list should be split for example, would fall under "chat".
thats exactly how lists are split in the ubuntu world, a chat list
"-users" and a tech list "-devel" for every ubuntu based distro out
there :)

If that's the distinction, then I think we are in agreement around the purpose of such a proposed split.

But would good names for a technical list and a chat list not be technical and chat respectively?

ed

ciao
        oli