On Thu, 2006-03-16 at 10:38 +0200, Jane Weideman wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> This is to follow on from our mailing list names discussion from
> yesterday - which was also discussed in our weekly meeting.

> > > I remember that, yes. What I discussed with Oli, is that less people are
> > > subscribing, because they see the list as a -devel list such as
> > > ubuntu-devel and debian-devel, and not a support list. I've communicated
> > > with many people who haven't joined the list yet, because of this
> > > perception.
> >
> > Seconded. I subscribed with the expectation that I'd see a bunch of
> > developers conversing. In fact, lists.ubuntu.com explicitly states
> > "Edubuntu developer discussion":

> Ok, it is clear to me that we are starting to have distinct and discreet
> groups of 'users' vs 'developers', and while some may fall into both
> categories, we definitely have people who would prefer to be in only one
> or the other group.
>
> However, it is not clear whether 'devel' and 'users' completely covers
> it, since it seems much of the 'user' camp is proposing a place for talk
> of Education topics and curriculum development.
>
> Note Susan Addington's comments:
> "I'm a user, and definitely have no time to deal with how to get sound
> cards to work, etc. (I just throw out those technical e-mails.) I'm
> waiting until the  system is really easy to install to even try it in a
> lab.
>
> I _am_, however, interested in developing curriculum that uses this
> technology, and devising ways for teachers to adopt these new ideas.
> (Without teachers, this won't happen.)"
>
> Traditionally 'users' is a place for technical support for users. Susan
> is not looking for this kind of discussion on the 'users' list she is
> envisioning.
>
> > I should also note that I think the decision to start with only one list
> > is a good one. It improves the sense of community and helps to avoid the
> > (somewhat false) distinction between users and developers.
> >
> > To sum up, this seems to be a 'truth in advertising' issue, if you will,
> > and not 'whither Edubuntu?'
> >
> > > I don't think so. I suggested to Oli that we get an additional
> > > 'edubuntu' list. He suggested that we rename the current one instead,
> > > which would make sense, since he'd be on the 'normal' list anyway :)
> >
> > That seems like it would resolve the issue fairly easily.
>
> Jeff Waugh (our mailing list administrator) has asked us not to create a
> single "edubuntu" list as this goes against the current norms.
>
> He proposes 2 lists, 'edubuntu-devel' and 'edubuntu'users'.
>
> With this in mind it is unlikely we can change the current norms and use
> totally diff conventions like ' edubuntu-tech' and 'edubuntu-educators'
> etc.
>
> Is creating *3* lists the solution?
> 'edubuntu-devel'
> 'edubuntu'users' and
> 'edubuntu-educators'
> ???

Before this gets forgotten ...

Can I get a vote response for (or against):

Changing our mailing lists to,

1) Be slip into 'edubuntu-devel' and 'edubuntu-users' lists
2) Subscribe all current subscribers to edubuntu-users - those that
wants to be on devel as well/instead will need to explicitly subscribe
there.

That ok?
--
JaneW