I would *never* buy any kit that requires more than an item or two of SMT
work.  SMT construction is specifically designed *only*  for machine
assembly.  IMO, any SMT kit must come with almost all the SMT components
pre-assembled to the PC boards to be acceptable.

I'm not against SMT.  In fact, I wish the K1 or KX1 were available with most
of the generic components in SMT, pre-assembled.  (MFJ has almost the
correct mixture in their Cub kits.)  That would be more reliable, quicker to
build, eliminate much error, reduce monotony in assembly, simplify kit parts
inventory, etc.  But a kit with many SMT parts that must be assembled by the
builder grossly degrades, rather than improves, **all** of these areas, in
comparison with conventional components.

73,
Mike / KK5F