A "trick" that I learned was to take a long piece of solid "bell wire"
or hookup wire (copper) about 6- 8 inches long.  Remove the insulation
and wrap a coil around your soldering iron tip.  Bring the last bit of
wire out, parallel to the axix of the soldering iron. Plug the iron, in,
let the wire heat up, cut the "tip" to the length you want and you have
a very fine tip for soldering SMD devices.

I wouldn't want to build a kit this way; but if you only have a couple
devices to solder it works pretty good.

73 de Larry W2LJ - Vivat Morse! © ®

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.qsl.net/w2lj

ARRL Lifemember  QRP ARCI #4488     NJQRP #47
FISTS #1469  QRP-L #778   FP #612  QRPp-I #759
ARS #1528,  AmQRP, CQC #746

K1 #1647  -  K2 #4090  for QRP
Icom IC-751A for QRO
Butternut HF9V and G5RV antennas