Another idea.

Why not some sort of RF-probe circuit? It would look just like the RF probe
in the book, but with different component values to get the time constant
down. The RF probe in the book gives about a 100 Hz bandwidth which isn't
enough (I'd want at least 5K for SSB audio testing).

It seems different values might make this work (For SSB only, no BFO for
CW). However, I can't seem to get a decent audio signal off the top of my
dummy load. I've tried a bunch of different RC combinations, but I believe I
also need a blocking capacitor on the output.

I'll continue to fart around with the junk-box parts, but someone with a bit
more depth of knowledge might grap a calculator and drop in the values of
the parts I'd want.

Ant --- Cap (0.01)  ----------- Cap (2) --- headset
                   diode  R (5M)              |

Of course, maybe my audio IS that bad, and this detector is working fine!

Dan / WG4S / K2 #2456