Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 21:50:22 -0500
From: "W3FPR - Don Wilhelm" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] How to set up SSB
To: "Dan Barker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,   "Elecraft"
        <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>

Dan,

You could try using the microphone direct into a tape recorder if the mic's
response is the primary question.

If you are referring to filter adjustments to match your voice, I think more

emphasis than necessary has been placed on refining the frequency range.  If

you have set your FL1 BFO so that the lower frequency  -3dB corner of the
SSB passband is at 300 Hz, you will be presenting the best frequency
response for communications use.  Some exceptions do occur, but that is not
the norm.

OTOH, if you have questions about overloading and clipping and the effects
of compression on the fidelity of your voice or evaluating the response of
that particular microphone with the K2, listening on a separate receiver is
the best way to answer those questions.  Of course, you can trust to another

ham who knows your normal voice and has a receiver adequate to evaluate the
signal - be certain that you are not overloading the receiver if that person

is a local.

As has been mentioned in a prior post, a simple DC receiver can be used to
tell you what your signal sounds like.  DC receivers have all filtering done

at audio, and have potential to provide the best fidelity.

73,
Don W3FPR