From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Tom W8JI
Sent: Monday, August 02, 2010 6:46 AM
To: ussv dharma
Cc: Elecraft Reflector
Subject: [Elecraft] Re Vertical for portable use

<<<<QUESTION:
  this is a solo dxpedition, I am 75 years old.  the antenna farm will most
likely be vertical and located right at the shore line.

What suggestions do you have for me to construct for antennas?

Susan>>>

Susan,

Without details like the bands you want to use and which bands are most
important, it is difficult to answer.

Most answers you will get will probably be based on manufacturing
advertisements and feelings rather than how things really work.
Manufacturers through their advertisements have largely brainwashed us as a
group on antennas.  :-)

The Butternut HF6V and Hustler 6BTV are about at the top of the all-band
gain (80-10 meters) and have nearly identical performance. They both are
trap verticals, although one of them pretends it does not have traps.

73 Tom