The APF does as you say, builds a narrow filter around an audio signal,  and it
does this
down to a razor sharp peak.
But what really makes it so great (and distinguishes it from just an audio
filter) is that it adds another dimension.  In addition It peaks or boosts the
narrowed down audio signal.
That is why we users say that it pulls the signal up out of the mud.   The
FT-1000's APF
and my TS-930S (I wish I still had her, sniff, sniff) did this very effectively.
The CW signal can be right down at the noise level, you know it is in there but
cannot copy.  By adjusting the
APF you can pull the signal up out of the mud and copy the signal.

Bob
K6UJ