Thanks Bob. I understand now. The AFX provides the effect of both narrowing
the bandwidth and increasing the audio gain. That increases the effect of
having the signal "pop" out of the noise.

Any time we listen to a single-frequency or narrow-band signal surrounded by
white (or pink) noise and then reduce the bandwidth to remove the
off-frequency noise it will seem as the audio level has dropped too. That's
because our hearing reacts to the total audio power coming down the audio
channel which greatly varies with the bandwidth when noise is present.

So, after decreasing the bandwidth to kill much of the noise, we raise the
gain to bring the signal back up to a normal listening level.

When we do that with filters in the I.F., the receiver's AGC system will
bring the gain up automatically as the selectivity is narrowed.

AFX provides the same effect when more filtering is wanted at audio
frequencies - after the AGC loop.

I doubt if I'd notice the difference since I normally copy weak signals with
the AGC off. I'm used to riding the gain manually anyway.

The first "active" audio filter I worked with that provided both gain and
selectivity was the Selectoject from the 1950's. It was very popular back
then.

Ron AC7AC