Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2010 15:14:45 -0400
From: Don Wilhelm <w3...@embarqmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] APF For K3
To: Paul Christensen <w...@arrl.net>
Cc: elecraft@mailman.qth.net

  I have never used a receiver with a button labeled APF, but I have
used my K2 with an audio filter.  It seems to me the only other
characteristic of APF is that the center frequency can be changed.
On the K3, we have the Dual Passband that may work in a similar manner.
Set the width to the lowest value 50 Hz and turn on Dual PB and you have
a wide filter with a peak at your sidetone pitch.  You can change the
Pitch if you wish to peak a different audio frequency, but for the life
of me, I cannot imagine why anyone would want to peak any pitch other
than his preferred sidetone pitch.

If you want a little more peaking, turn on NR and set it to an
aggressive setting.  The way NR works is that it builds a narrow filter
around a signal that it thinks is a valid signal - so you have a filter
at the audio pitch where you have set the VFO.

Yes, the K3 is different than those receiver that have APF, but in my
opinion, it accomplishes the same thing, but differently.

73,
Don W3FPR

No virus found in this outgoing message
Checked by PC Tools AntiVirus (6.1.0.25 - 6.14880).
http://www.pctools.com/free-antivirus/