From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Don Wilhelm
Sent: Tuesday, January 25, 2011 5:55 PM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] KPA500 - just 500 watts?

  QRP, 100 watts, or QRO at 500 watts+  -- they all have their place.
If one is operating portable with batteries on a mountain hike, there is no
other reasonable choice than QRP, and sometimes antennas are compromise for
that situation too, but many do enjoy making a bunch of contacts in that
environment.

100 watts (well somewhere between 50 and 100) is normal for me at the home
station.  I will drop to 5 watts if operating near the QRP "watering holes"
just so I don't cover up other low power stations, but for most causal QSOs,
I run between 50 and 100 watts.

I will have an amplifier on the air someday (I have done 55 years of hamming
without one), but it will be used when conditions warrant it.
Yes, contests often warrant it, and when trying for that elusive DX in a
pileup.  However, I will continue to run near the 100 watt level most of the
time.  Some of the guys I talk to on 80 meter SSB tend to razz me about not
running more power, but they can hear me, so why run more - if I am only S-7
on their meter, but perfectly Q5 copy, why should I run up the electric bill
just because they are running the legal limit and bragging about their
S-9+60 reports.  I just don't see the point.  Oh yes, some of these guys are
running ESSB too, but I prefer to limit my bandwidth.  Just because it can
be done is not a valid reason to do it IMHO.

"To everything Turn, Turn, Turn ---  To every thing there is a season, and a
time to every purpose under the heaven:" - based on the Book of Ecclesiastes
and put to music by Pete Seegar in 1959.

73,
Don W3FPR