On Feb 2, 2011, at 2/2    1:37 AM, Julian, G4ILO wrote:

> The most important thing when using PSK modes is not how much power
> you are
> using, but that the signal is *clean*, with the minimum of IMD
> products. And
> that is why with a barefoot K3 or any other 100W radio you should
> not exceed
> about 40W output.

I agree completely with Julian about this.  PSK31 is a weak signal
mode when conditions are good.  How much power you need to use depends
on the SNR of your signal at the receiving end.

Think about it. A 3 dB difference in your signal can only affect the
blocking dynamic range of the receiver by 3 dB.  But if your transmit
IMD is 6 dB worse (I have seen some "QRP" signals with -25 dBc IMD),
you are ruining the band for many more people than just your nearby
neighbors who have receivers with poor dynamic range.

With the K3, there is no practical difference in transmit IMD between
using 20 watts and 50 watts.  See the two tables halfway down this page:

http://homepage.mac.com/chen/Technical/K3/Digital/digital.html

In practice, it is non-productive to run power once your SNR at the
receiver is over 0 dB in a 300 Hz noise bandwidth.  When there is
multipath, PSK31 will not get through no matter how much power you
use.  Even though RTTY is 3 dB less sensitive than PSK31 when
conditions are good, it can still get through even flutter if you have
a good SNR at the receiving end (i.e., transmit with more power).
PSK31 will not get through flutter no matter how much power you apply.

73
Chen, W7AY