Hi,

I was born in Norway and lived there until emigrating here as a young adult.
Norway also has 240V as the only electrical domestic voltage. It's used for
for everything from lamps to heavy duty kitchen stoves or clothes dryers. In
Norway any work on the electrical wiring in a dwelling had to be done by a
certified (and expensive) electrician. Supplies such as wire, receptacles
and switches were simply unavailable to the general public. I don't know,
but suspect that the same may apply to the UK and Australia. While I agree
that the 240V system is technically superior to the 115/230V system used in
North America, I do enjoy the ability to do my own work on the wiring. It
certainly saves a lot of money.

AB2TFC - Knut