"...When I chased DX there was no split, we conserved bandwidth...."
==========
This is a strange statement. I was licensed in 1958, and soon got interested
in DX. In those days the DX columns of CQ and QST were filled with anguished
pleas for stations to work split and never transmit on the DX frequency.
This is still the case today -- recent columns in both magazines sound just
like those from 1958 -- and always has been as far as I know.

My Elmers, W0AJU and W0QDF, were honor roll DXers who tried to teach me the
ropes. I once got a terse phone-call from one of them when I inadvertently
called on the DX frequency. (Even today I never transmit with VFO A. When
working simplex I just set A>B. I'm always in split mode.)

Of course, in those days there were no transceivers, so tuning Rx and Tx
independently was part of normal operation. Everybody knew how to do it, or
they didn't operate. Now the simple act of tuning your radio seems to be a
mystery. I guess that if you don't use CW and you operate phone simplex you
can work some DX, but the rare ones will remain beyond your reach.

It ain't hard. As one poster observed, the K3 makes it as easy as any radio
can make it. The Yaesu FT1000 radios were designed explicitly for split
operation, and they revolutionized DXing. The K3 has the same setup, but
improved with a better main and much better 2nd receiver, better control of
what you hear in the headphones, etc.

If you don't know how to receive on one frequency and transmit on another,
spend some time learning how. Only then can you really appreciate what your
K3 is, and why.

Tony KT0NY