Thanks everyone who responded.  I now have a basic understanding of
split.  I have spent time re-reading the manual, info below and pondered
all the responses.  Some off the list.

I have spend time playing with the knobs on the K3 and think I now have
the basics under control.

To me this hobby is like drinking from a fire hose.

Thanks again for all the help, someday I hope I can answer questions
like the folks on this group.

Cheers
~73
Don