I normally operate my K2 and K3 exactly like I operated my separate
transmitter and receiver pair in the past. I tune the RX to the frequency on
which I plan to transmit. Zero beat with the TX, and transmit.

With modern transceivers like the Elecraft rigs it's much, much faster and
easier than with a separate TX/RX. I run in SPLIT all the time. When I'm
receiving on the frequency on which I want to transmit I tap A=B (on the K2)
or A>B (on the K3) to instantly zero beat the transmitter to the rx
frequency.

Now I can continue to tune around using the comfortable VFO A knob without
disturbing my transmit frequency.

A nice feature we didn't have on the separate tx/rx pair is that we can
press REV to "peek" at our transmit frequency at any time and then instantly
return to the selected receive frequency. So there's even less excuse for
not checking the xmit frequency before actually transmitting than we had
years ago, Hi!

73,

Ron AC7AC