From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Fred Jensen
Sent: Saturday, July 30, 2011 6:39 PM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Pileups and the KPA500

On 7/30/2011 12:58 PM, KD3RF wrote:
> Worked ST0R on two bands so far, both using the KPA500, SB on 20 mtrs and
15
> mtr RTTY.
>
> Ran the amp at reduced input on RTTY for 200 watts out, fan didn't even
come
> on.

Can someone tell me what I could expect from my KPA500 working the ST0R
pileup that I couldn't expect from a Brand X 500W amplifier [or an
unbranded 1,500W amp running at 500W]?  My K3/KPA500 combo offers me
exquisite QSK at any speed, allows me to change bands in an instant, and
requires no tuning, all of which are distinct advantages in operating in
general.  However, none of them seem particularly relevant to the
question of working DX in a very rowdy and sometimes obnoxious pileup.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2011 Cal QSO Party 1-2 Oct 2011
- www.cqp.org