I believe you must get into several wavelengths before you get significant
end directivity from a "long wire". My reference says that the angle of the
main lobe to the antenna is about 55 degrees when the wire is a wavelength
long, compared to 90 degrees at 1/2 wavelength. It takes a wire more than 7
wavelengths long for the angle of the main lobe to 20 degrees off of the
end.

For a horizontal wire, the angle of maximum radiation with respect to the
horizon continues to be a function of height in wavelengths above ground.
So, for a given wire a specific height above ground, as the frequency goes
up, the lobes will slowly move toward the end and should be at an even
*lower* elevations in the higher frequencies since the wire is higher above
ground in terms of wavelengths.

Of course one has to feed the wire. That's why most of us who use an end fed
wire have it arranged as an inverted "L". Mine is about 40 feet vertical
from the rig, then 90 feet horizontally. So the radiation is a strong mix of
vertical and horizontal polarization. On my favorite band, 20 meters, the
vertical section is about optimum for low-angle vertical radiation and the
height is perfect for low angle horizontal radiation. It works very well
across the HF spectrum. I use an external homebrew tuner to provide physical
separation between the very RF hot (on some bands) end of the wire and the
rig (and me at the rig).

As for impedance, it will be highest and 1/2 wavelength and diminish at
longer lengths. Cranking a sample antenna into EZNEC shows that the
impedance of a typical real-world wire at 1/4 wavelength long is about 35
ohms as expected. At 1/2 wave it's about 1500 ohms. At 1 wavelength it's
about 800 ohms. At 2 wavelength it's about 300 ohms, and so on. Of course
many things affect the actual impedance including the diameter of the
radiator itself.

Ron AC7AC