On Sun, Oct 9, 2011 at 2:45 PM, Stephen Prior <eastbrantw...@gmail.com>wrote:

> .... the more advanced RFSpace
> offerings will give the K3 a good run for its money in receive performance
> terms, but from my perspective, I'm afraid it's got to have knobs on!

========
It's been observed by many on this reflector and elsewhere that the quality
of programming of ham software has not come up to equal  the quality of
hardware design. I think this criticism is pretty valid. Moreover I don't
see why there is any magic to having a PC do demodulation and DSP, tasks
that are really better suited to dedicated CPU and DSP chips inside the
radio. I've tried it both ways and I agree with Stephen about the knobs.
IMHO, the KX3 design makes a heck of a lot more sense than a knobless image
on a computer that you operate with a mouse. The ideal combo would be a
knob-equipped radio that put  out I-Q directly to a PC program that put up a
clickable panadapter, just like the setup you get by using LP-Pan with a K3
except that the LP-Pan function would be brought onboard the radio -- as it
is in the KX3.

73, Tony KT0NY

--
http://www.isb.edu/faculty/facultydir.aspx?ddlFaculty=352