> Why should polling the AGC randomly turn it off on the K3?

Because HRD uses the *K22* mode.  If HRD would use the K3 commands
and not enable the K2 extended command set, the GT command would
require an explicit off command.

What appears to happen is a data clash between HRD and the P3 ...
P3 data or an echo gets appended to the the GT; poll to the K3.
The the corrupted data is "just right" AGC is turned off.

Why does HRD use an old command set and why does it poll for AGC
status *THREE TIMES*?  Polling for the same data three times in
31 milliseconds is stupid, sloppy, and increases the chance of
false triggering exponentially.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV