The real deal would be why the over-polling is necessary in the first place.
 I'd guess it's done to service ALL the different rig types (not just
Elecraft and K3) with a single strip of code, instead of pushing those
constants at program startup based on the target or configured hardware.

If it's not cheep code, then it's certainly not state of the art, nor at all
close.  One always should have a constants library which carries the array
of values necessary to drive any hardware timing sensitive code.

Where I worked at my last TWO places of employment, going back to an AT&T
school in 1976 (!), embedding target-variable constants in program code and
using code switches would get your code summarily rejected by a reviewer or
auditor, subject one to an auditor approved redesign and recode (with prior
effort flushed down the turlet), and have an effect on one's pay grade.
There was a brutal "standards are just that" attitude.  Putting in the table
driven code costs some in the beginning, but saves huge in maintenance, and
a maze of switches eventually means recoding in its entirety.

That's probably what we're really fighting with the HRD code. Otherwise it's
a simple table change that gets done in seconds, and then recompiled.

73, Guy.