Did you try the DSP upgrade?  Have you pulled the front panel off and
cleaned the contacts with Deoxit?

Does age start to factor in to this observation?  I know everything in
the past is always better.....Ie we tend to forget how things really
were.   At 47 I have some loss of hearing at certain ranges due to
issues with my ears as a child.  My FT101EE did not sound better than my K3.