I disconnected all the cables to my K3, set it up on a temporary workbench,
connected the DC and KUSB and commenced to run the K3 Utility once again.

The great news is that everything loaded up correctly and this time I
checked the filter calibration/settings in the utility before powering down.

One of the sub-receiver filter settings was incorrect and one of the filter
offsets on the main receiver was slightly off as well---so I corrected them
and applied the updated settings.  Powered down and then powered back
up---everything looks good!  Disconnected the KUSB after the power down and
powered back up a couple of times and no error messages at all.

Don't know if that was what the problem was but at any rate I MAY have fixed
it this time.  I say may because I will need to hook everything back up
(KPA500, P3, speakers, headset, antennas, etc.) and give it a good test run
before I'm sure it's OK.

Either way it goes later on I'll reconfirm the fix or else report otherwise;
hopefully all will be well for now.

Thanks again for all the help and suggestions; maybe that one of
"disconnecting all other cables" might have been the one thing that skewed
everything off the right path to begin with.

Very seventy-three to all,

Jeff