Craig,

I do not want to "push the envelope", but I have found that UHF
connectors are more reliable than BNC. The BNC connectors are smaller,
but are more susceptible to the connection being distorted because
either the center conductor has been pulled back into the housing or the
shield connection has failed.  In other words, a BNC connector is no
panacea - it can have failure points unknown to the UHF connector
world.  Below 100 MHz, the UHF connector is perfectly adequate.

The only caution I can offer on the use of UHF connectors is that they
must be tightened - finger tight is not enough, it requires a slight
extra tightening with pliers.  The continuity of the shield connection
depends on the tightness of the connector - BNC and Type N do not have
that dependency - if those connectors are engaged (whether tightened or
not), there is a good connection for bother the center conductor and the
shield.

I do use BNC connectors at my workbench every day just because they are
convenient and easy to change from one connection to another.  If I an
servicing a KPA100, I will screw a PL-259 to BNC adapter onto the RF
output jack so I can use my workbench BNC cables for quick
connect/disconnect.  I do keep a constant check on the BNC connectors -
if the shield escapes the clamp, or the center conductor is pulled back,
I discard the cable, or simply cut off the offending cable end so I know
to repair it later.

For those with more permanent stations, I would highly recommend
sticking with theUHF connectors or using UHF to BNC adapters rather than
modifying your equipment. Just my humble opinion.

73,
Don W3FPR