Bill Johnson wrote:

Bill

WHAT are the changes to R11 and R30???? Everyone is referring to them,
but
no-one has said what they are!!

Must be a dark secret, Grif.  Nobody seems to want to tell, apparently
least of all the folks who report having performed the mods!

A small difference in power isn't worth consideration vs the importance of a
clean signal.  A change from 4 w to 2 w is only 3 db which is not notable
for audio difference. Thus some of us who have owned for the entire time
haven't paid any long lasting attention.  I have never operated any QRP rig
at it's full power.  The reduced power has a huge advantage in battery life
and has little to no impact on the receiving station's ability to copy. Bill K9YEQ
I do not have a KX1 anymore. It is a long story. I was able to dig through my old sent email messages. I purchased and built an early serial number KX1. I hope this help you.
Glenn Maclean WA7SPY
Sacramento, CA

Here is what Gary at Elecraft had to say. I went by his guide lines. 33 ohms worked well in my case. Your milage may very. Yes it is OK to change R30 do not go any more than 47 ohms. (See below)

Hi All;
Here is the comments from Gary at Elecraft concerning the Low Power conidition of the KX-1.

Those output levels are typical and are pretty normal. You will only get
3-4w if 13.8 to 14.0VDC is used, and the load is a good 50 ohm non-reactive
match.

The KX1 is not designed to produce 4-5w (or more) like the K1 can, as it has
a much simpler transmitter and is optimized for mainly portable and battery
use.

If all parts are correct, you can safely increase R30 at the base of the PA
transistor Q6, but not more than 33-47 ohms or increased spurious output
will result. 33 ohms would be a good first value to try.

--
73, Gary AB7MY