The Auto Notch of the K3 is outside the AGC loop and therefor will notch the
carrier NOTE but NOT the carrier.  Many foreign rigs have the Auto Notch inside
the AGC loop and this results in optimal operation with no distortion.

This may have something to do with down conversion receivers such as the K3,
and I think there have been discussions on this which you can bring up from the
list archives.

In my opinion this is the one weakness of the K3.

Now,  with the new AGC threshold I do not get the distortion as before,  as the
Auto Notch is not nearly as aggressive.  I do not hear distortion with the
notch on at this time.  The Auto Notch is a bit slower to engage but the
landing is much softer in as far as distortion,  or the hollow sounding audio
which was the case before MCU 4.51.

I used to own an Icom 7800 and 7700.  Icoms Auto Notch is superb but is inside
the AGC loop.  I noticed both Ten Tec and Elecraft place the Notch outside the
AGC circuit------there must be a good reason for it but not sure what it is.

Toby  W4CAK