I hear it.  I have always heard it.  Its always been there.

I think the "distortion" you are hearing and seeing in the
waterfall you looked at is the notch in the audio itself and
the ANF routine's "hunting around" for the frequency to
notch as it samples the audio its being fed.

Within the audio spectrum of a voice there are many
frequencies, and they are constantly changing as speech is
being produced.  The tone (of the carrier) you are trying to
notch also falls within those frequencies.  The notch
produced by the ANF has a finite "width" and "depth" plus or
minus several cycles, as you noticed in the waterfall, which
has a rise time and a fall time. When that is superimposed
over a voice, there is a "comb filter" like effect in some
frequencies adjecent to the tone you are notching as the
automatic notch routine samples and then attempts to blank
the interfering tone.

We are talking about notching audio here, ANF cant magically
get rid of just the tone and leave what is being covered up
by the tone alone, it has to get rid of ALL the energy in
the spectrum occupied by the tone, plus or minus the notch
filter width and depth, so there literally is a "hole"
there, and it "moves" as the voice and the tone mix.  You
hear the hole, and notice that "something is missing".  The
hole "moves around" as the interference is blanked and the
ANF refreshes its decision at whatever frequency it samples
of what it needs to blank.  That's why you dont see it in
the manual notch, that one does not move around on its own.

At least this is my long winded "guess" to what one hears
here.  K9YC may have a better way of explaining this than me
(Im a duffer, he's a pro at this game).

Ive always heard this to a greater or lesser extent in any
radio or device that notches audio frequencies
automatically.  So called "feedback destroyers" in stage and
studio audio have the same function as ANF, I hear this
effect on them as well to a greater or lesser extent.  They
have gotten so good lately that it is barely preceptible,
but its there, you can see it on a spectrum analyser.
(Google Sabine Adaptive Audio to see a representative
device, their older devices sound quite similar to what you
hear in the K3 ANF; the newer ones are truly magical!).

I dont think that it is *THAT* objectionable... It is there,
I hear it, but I know why it is happening. Is it normal?
Maybe. Could it be better?  Possibly.  I find it acceptable.
Its a great aural reminder that you have the auto notch
turned on!

-lu-w4lt-