I'm sorry, David,  but am confused about what you are doing.

You state that " I often work PSK using AFSK...".  How do you do this?  Are
you running RTTY with AFSK or FSK D?  Or, maybe PSK 31 using PSK D or
soundcard DATA A?

My K3 has 4 data modes.  FSK (Hardware shifted freq for RTTY) or AFSK which
uses a sound card.  The other two are PSK D which is created entirely within
the K3 or it's sound card version DATA A.

Both of the "D" or direct modes can be used with paddles on the K3 to send
and receive while decoding is done in the K3.  They can also be used with
the K3 Utility and some other software that sends text over the serial
cable, I believe.

Please explain

...bill  nr4c

Subject: [Elecraft] K3 psk D splater

 Last evening I was trying another aspect of my K3    I often work PSK
using AFSK but I thought Id give it a try using PSK-D using Kcomm