David,

I don't know what the max power would be before the internally generated PSK
would produce too much IMD but I never use more than 50W.

I thought you mentioned in your original post that you were running 25W and
that would be fine.

I have to wonder just how reliable is the receiving station.  It could be you
have a very strong signal at his place or, as someone else mentioned, he might
have been running an agressive NB  or similar.

You may have trouble monitoring your signal locally so what I would do is get
back on, make another QSO and see what the new partner has to say.

I would be happy to sked with you if you think that would make the test easier.

Send me an email off list if you would like to do that.

GL and 73,
Rick
k...@mac.com