From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Peter Wollan
Sent: Thursday, June 28, 2012 11:07 AM
To: John Kountz
Cc: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Field Day experience with K3

The problem here isn't the battery AH capacity, but the voltage supply.  It
could be dropping below 10 vdc because both radios are on the same supply, or
because the power supply wires are too fine gauge, or because the battery is
defective.

The K3 is less robust to supply voltage than the other Elecraft radios.  The K2
is rated for 10-15 volts;  the K1, KX1, and KX3 go down a lot lower, I think 8
volts.  I looked at the K3 documents to see what minimum voltage it requires,
and I couldn't find it -- I think it's something like 11, but it may be 11.5 or
even 12.

You'd probably do fine just by using a separate battery for each radio, and not
letting it run down too far.  A voltage booster isn't needed, as lots of
operators all over the world have demonstrated.

      Peter W0LLN