Hello Jack

Thankfully, I have not been in a real emergency, but one of my prime
directives would be to first establish a stable and exclusive channel,
OK, it might have to change from time to time, but not like a contest
situation.  Having established a channel, one of the power-lean digital
modes would be the choice for me: I keep hearing stories of working
across the world on a dead band with half a noodlewatt.  The incoming
data is captured on a power-lean laptop, palmtop, Iphone unambiguously
in plain language and forwarded or printed off if you must with a small
printer.

I declare I haven't done any of this, it's just my firtile imagination -
but I'd like to.

David
GUNA