Well I'm one of those so called "Smart" engineers that write the code, and I
can tell you that, while some of the things we turn into code sound good,
they are hardly practical or work in real life.  While GFCI outlets are a
good idea and have saved countless lives because the implementation of the
technology was proper, devices like arc-fault circuit breakers and tamper
resistant receptacles have been a disaster for: 1) understanding where the
technology should be deployed, and 2) implementing the technology properly.
I blame this on us, the people writing the detail, but in some cases without
any field understanding and experience.  Sometimes I look around the table
and all I see is dummies!  If you are betting on these people to save you
from electrical disaster, you're in big trouble!

(nb.  The arc faults trip on incoming arcs too... so any arc on your local
drop trip them, and countless people have been hurt by breaking tamper
resistant receptacles, forcing a plug into it because it won't open).

Dr. William J. Schmidt - K9HZ / J68HZ/ 8P6HK/ ZF2HZ

Owner - Operator
Big Signal Ranch
Staunton, Illinois

email:  b...@wjschmidt.com