Back in the 70s I had a three head reel to reel tape recorder.  The
separate record and playback heads allowed you to monitor what you'd
just put on the tape, but a fraction of a second later.  We discovered
that we could have great fun with this ... put headphones on the victim,
turned up fairly loud, and challenge him to recite something simple into
the microphone such as the nursery rhyme "Mary Had A Little Lamb".  Of
course, no one could do it and the sputtering and looks of astonishment
were hilarious.  This works even better after a few beers.

73-

Nick, WA5BDU