On 9/2/2012 9:51 AM, Fred Jensen wrote:
> Somehow, we managed to
> key the transmitters multiple miles away with no noticeable delay.  I
> never got to the TX site so I don't know how they did it.

A few years ago I visited both TX and RX sites for KPH, the coast
station north of San Francisco, along with W3DQ, K3NA, and W0YK. The
sites were something on the order of 20 miles apart, and the connection
was an ordinary telephone line, everything analog, so no delay. The two
sites could operate simultaneously on as many frequencies as they had
operating positions. CW was simply translated to audio tones, a
different frequency for each transmitter, and the output of tone
decoders was amplified, rectified, and used to drive relays that keyed
the TX. The line was (and still is) a dedicated line, so it does not go
through the telephone switching network, so the only delay is the speed
of light over that 20-30 miles plus the relay pull-in time.

I don't recall how they said the operators were monitoring their own
keying.  K3NA had a new 2nd Class Telegraph license, so he operated a
bit and got it endorsed.  The rest of us watched.

KPH is maintained by volunteers and is available for tours at scheduled
times. It's well worth the time.

73, Jim K9YC