> Empirically the issue starts to become noticeable when the delay is
> more than an element (dit/dah) and certainly becomes critical when
> the delay is a substantial part of a letter.

Yep, actually one dit time delay [or even close to it] is really
annoying.  The coastal marine stations in the 50's supplied sidetone
while sending.  I don't know where or how ours was generated, but it had
a perceptible delay at 18 WPM [our "speed limit" when in traffic].
Since we had multiple receivers at each position, everyone got their
sidetone by listening to our transmitted signal.  Somehow, we managed to
key the transmitters multiple miles away with no noticeable delay.  I
never got to the TX site so I don't know how they did it.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2012 Cal QSO Party 6-7 Oct 2012
- www.cqp.org