From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of k...@charter.net
Sent: Tuesday, November 13, 2012 8:39 AM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: [Elecraft] K3 sensitivity below 40 meters

Conventional wisdom historically has been that a receiver preamp is not used
at 40 meters and below primarily because it is not needed, indeed it would
typically degrade receiver performance. So why is it necessary to engage the
20 dB preamp on the K3 to get it to hear an S9 signal at the appropriate
level of other receivers?