Even that misses the point, I'm afraid.  Remember that the original
comment referred to the receive capability of an antenna.

The only thing that matching or "tuning to resonance" does is improve
the amplitude of the combined signal and noise feeding the rig ... it
does not improve the signal to noise ratio.  A good receiving antenna,
however, has some pattern to it that captures the desired signal while
discriminating against unwanted noise, whether the noise is man made or
atmospheric.  A Beverage antenna, for example, has quite a strong
pattern in one direction so it has a good signal to noise ratio feeding
the rig.  A Beverage is pretty inefficient, though, and the desired
signal is pretty weak, so typically a matching transformer (9:1 or so)
is used to optimize the signal transfer and a low noise preamp (either
in the rig or external) is also used ... but the signal to noise ratio
is determined by the antenna independent of whether it is matched or
not.  I guarantee that an unmatched Beverage with enough low noise gain
after it will outperform any practical resonant or matched ("tuned to
resonance") antenna available to hams.

73,
Dave   AB7E