I think it may be due to my final comment, but first, some info.

My pre-amp is off and the ATT is on 90% of the time.  I seldom turn on the
pre-amp. With the pre-amp off, and the ATT on, I consistently hear guys
breaking in that the others in the group do not hear, and they run good
equipment. They comment on it, and believe it is due to my antenna.  The
apex of my antenna is only 40 feet high. One of them has a 100 foot tower.
I believe it is due to resonance. Read on.

I would suspect antenna not resonant, or working with a swr that is not
optimum for the frequency.  (You need both.)   Emphasis is given to swr for
transmit out of concern for the finals, but I discovered years ago how
important a 1.0:1 swr is for receive. Anything less is a compromise in
receive performance.

You say "to 'hear' an S9 signal".  That has me curious.  S9 is RF, hearing
is AF.  Still pondering....

The K3 is calibrated for S9 at -50 uV with the pre-amp on. This may be the
answer to your question. It could also be that you need to calibrate your
S-meter.  The XG-2 works well for that.

Good luck,
Rich, n0ce