From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Pete Smith N4ZR
Sent: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 1:36 PM
To: Elecraft List
Subject: [Elecraft] What does the frequency readout mean?

I'm having a hard time getting my head around this. My radio is on
3507.02 USB-CW, with a 500 Hz Pitch setting. I change the Pitch setting to
300 Hz, and the display still reads 3507.02.  What is this frequency?  The
suppressed-carrier frequency plus the CW pitch?  Does that mean that when I
change the pitch, the radio is actually moving its frequency a little bit?

A somewhat related question.  Same setup, but listening to a signal on the
air.  "Beat note" is ~500 Hz.  I turn the RIT so that the received signal is
lower frequency - say 200 Hz.  I transmit.  What does the station on the
other end hear, assuming he is also using USB-CW?  Does my "beat note" go up
in his receiver, or down?

Sorry to be dim.

--

73, Pete N4ZR