On Feb 20, 2013, at 8:02 AM, Pete Smith N4ZR <n...@contesting.com> wrote:

> For some reason, I was operating under the mistaken impression that the
> sideband used for CW followed the sideband convention for SSB.

It's been many decades since the sideband used for CW switched with the USB
/LSB convention (above and below roughly 9 MHz) with most mainstream rigs.  The
sideband used for CW is constant across all bands in the K3 and also in Kenwood
rigs.  Unfortunately, those conventions differ.  I prefer to listen to CW using
what would be called USB mode on sideband.  On the Kenwood TS-940 and
TS-950SDX, that corresponds to their "CW" mode.  On the K-3, however, that's
"CW REV" -- a difference that drives me bananas when I have the K-3 as Radio 1
and my Kenwood as Radio 2, because my general purpose logging program requires
both Radio 1 and Radio 2 to be the same!

That said, however, suppose your K-3 is in CW REV mode, which tunes the same
way as USB would.  That is, as you tune from the bottom of the band up higher
in frequency, and assuming you have your filter passbands centered normally,
you will hear stations come into the filter passband with DESCENDING pitch.
They will exit your received passband with a LOWER pitch than when they entered
as you tune UP in frequency.

So now let's look at the question you asked in your other posting:

"Same setup, but listening to a signal on the air.  "Beat note" is ~500 Hz.  I
turn the main tuning knob so that the received signal is  lower frequency - say
200 Hz.  I transmit.  What does the station on the other end hear, assuming he
is also using USB-CW?  Does my "beat note" go up in his receiver, or down?"

When you "turn the main tuning knob so that the received signal is lower
frequency", you are tuning UP in frequency if you are in USB or (in the case of
the K-3) CW REV mode.  What the station on the other end hears, however,
depends on his rig and which mode HE is using to listen to you with.  If he,
too, is using USB mode (or a K-3 in the CW REV mode), he will hear you get
HIGHER in pitch.  If not, he'll hear you get LOWER in pitch.

It's been my general (statistical) impression, listening to DXpedition
operators over the years, that if the operator appears to be tuning UP the band
in small increments he's most likely to be listening in USB (or K-3 CW REV)
mode, since many of us cut our teeth on that technique when we were neophytes.
I, for one, much prefer to listen to another station's pitch sliding DOWN in
frequency as I tune higher in the band.  Thus, I use CW REV in the K-3, and I
tune from the bottom up.

So, short answer to your question:  It depends.

Bud, W2RU