Pete, N4ZR

There have been some good answers for you. (I saved some to help others.)
My answer(s) is to the way I read your question(s).

The 'pitch' is the tone you will hear in your earphones, or speaker, on both
receive and transmit (cw sidetone).  It is nicely done in the K3.

BTW, the 'monitor' knob adjusts the cw sidetone level as I recall.  I haven't
changed it in a couple years.

Assuming you are in CW mode:
--First, you have selected the 'pitch' that you like to hear.
--You have 'CWT' on.
--You tune a CW signal near enough to see a bar appear on the 'CWT' scale.
--Press 'spot' and the radio automatically tunes the station in to your
selected tone.
--The signal will also be centered in the filter, and centered on the indicator.

Once you get used to the tone you have selected, you will be able to tune well
to that tone without using 'spot', or without looking at the display if you are
rushed.
However, the CWT indicator is your guide.

And finally, you said,
"I turn the RIT so that the received signal is
lower frequency - say 200 Hz.  I transmit.  What does the station on the
other end hear, assuming he is also using USB-CW?  Does my "beat note" go up
in his receiver, or down?"

As others have said, the RIT does nothing to your transmit.  But it does change
your receive frequency, so that it changes the tone you hear.  Not to be
confused with the 'pitch' control.  The 'pitch' control only selects the pitch
you like to hear when the signal is centered in your filter. From then on, you
want to tune the receiver to a tone of that pitch, or let the radio do it
automatically for you.

As for what the station on the other end hears, that is up to that operator,
who will tune to one side of your carrier until he/she hears a tone that is
suitable.

If you are working a station with a radio that drifts in frequency, you will
often need to make a correction to the tone you hear by using your RIT. That is
it's function.

It was a good question.  I think you will enjoy it as you understand the
workings.
Rich, n0ce