Tom,

RF Board U1 should not get hot. Make sure it is oriented correctly. The notch goes toward the left side panel.
If you plugged it in backwards, cross your fingers that it is still OK.

Error 080 is an indication that the main microprocessor cannot communicate with other microprocessors in the system over the single line AUXBUS signal. In the bare K2 there are 2 microprocessors - Control Board U6 is the main one and RF board U1 is the other.

For the LO BATT message, make certain you have the jumper on the 3 pin header at the top of the Control Board plugged for INT (to the left as you look down on it).

As for the garbled display, first get rid of the INFO 080 messages, and then tackle that one. Peer under the LCD display to see if pin 1 of Front Panel U1 was soldered. If it was not, cut away a bit of the lower part on socket corner to expose the pin and solder it from the top.

With all those problems, I am wondering about the quality of your soldering. Compare your solder connections with the diagrams in the soldering tutorial that you can download from the Elecraft website. You need enough heat on both the component leads and the solder pads to make the solder flow out to an almost invisible edge. Any solder fillet should be concave. If it is convex, either too much solder was applied or the solder did not flow adequately into the thru-plated hole.

73,
Don W3FPR